The Web is but a canvas to our imagination - ideas and digital strategies to finding gold at the end of every Web journey

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Customer Experience is all about the ME

To paraphrase Don Tapscott famed author of Wikinomics, and Toby Bell of Gartner, who both described this new genre of information sharing -

"If the news is important, it will find me."

I can't remember the last time that I turned on the TV to watch the news. I get notified via my Twitter stream if there is anything important going on in the world. The connection of information from various sources to the numerous channels people visit is a daunting task for any marketer. Hence, part of my job is to make this transference of knowledge as easy and unobtrusive as possible. Multi-channel distribution is the technical term - for many it is "just let me watch what I want where I want and in the form I want."

As a mother of teen and tween girls, I am always fascinated by their easy adoption of technology that has been around only as long as they have been alive. They take it for granted that they can find out or watch just about anything on the Web today. I am reminded of a conversation that might just sound familiar to those of you with tech-savvy kiddos.

Scene: At the grandparent's house with limited internet gadgets.

child: "Dad, can I watch my favorite cartoon on TV?"

dad: "No, grandma doesn't have that channel."

child: "Then can I have the iPad?" (note - Netflix watch instantly is enabled there)

dad: "No, I am using it right now."

child: "Then can I have my iTouch?"

dad: "Yes, but grandma doesn't have wifi, so no cartoons are available."

child: "Does she have a gamebox to watch it on?"

dad: "No, just go play outside."


Try explaining the ubiquity of content being delivered to so many different devices using different methods of internet access - it is lost on a child who just wants to what their show - right now!

Now, being a product marketer for OpenText's Web and online product line, I appreciate the power of the technology that makes the Web work almost like magic. We just released an update to our Web Experience Management product line that makes finding content easier (with Semantic search) and viewing rich media seamless from browser to mobile phones. Our focus on the ease to which information can be shared and consumed is a must-have in this "Net-generation" world we live in today.

(check out the recent Press Release )




Here is a view of our inline editing that makes it easier to manage the Website.




It is important to cater to your different audiences - provide the most compelling Customer Experience possible. Forrester Research found that this is a top priority in 2011 for content and collaboration professionals. WCM systems make achieving this goal a lot easier.

The question to ponder is: Are you delivering the ME experience today?

No comments:

Post a Comment